M43 Keilhose 1943 Wool Trousers in the mid to late war colour which is a greyer green than the previous models.
The German military improved the design of the wool trousers in 1943. The improved design was due in part to the different footwear that was now being issued to the German solider, the ankle boot had replaced the high marching boots so the trousers needed ankle cords. The design of the mountain trousers was used to improve the standard infantry trousers so you can see some of the features of the mountain trouser in the model 1943 trouser design. This new trouser is called the Model 43 or Rundbundhose and was issued to go with the M43 wool tunics. The M43 trouser was used by the Heer (Army) and the Waffen SS.
These M43 replica trousers by Richard Underwood have all the original features including:
- Taped leg design on the around the ankle the previous design was a straight leg. The tapered leg makes wearing gaiters more comfortable.
- Piece of tape is sewn into the hem of the trouser, the tape has two cords at the end of the tape, the tape of the trouser goes under the foot and then the tapes are threaded through eyelet holes in the hem of the trousers this keeps the trousers in place.
- Extra panel of wool fabric sewn onto the outside of the seat for reinforcement in a high wear area. The previous model of trousers had a cotton liner sewn on the inside of the seat area rather than an extra panel of wool on the outside.
- The front has 2 slash pockets which are each closed by one plastic button.
- The small pocket on the front for a pocket watch now has a flap covering it with a plastic button closure.
- The fly is secured by 4 plastic buttons which are covered and 2 flat dished buttons on the waist band which are exposed.
- The M43 trousers are cut lower on the waist than the previous trousers.
- The waist band has 4 wide belt loops for the leather belt (leather belt worn when the feldblouse was not worn).
- Two waist tightening straps, one on each side with metal buckle, the previous model of trousers only had a single strap at the back which was more difficult to adjust.
- The two belt loops on the back extend upwards and have two metal dish buttons on the end for the suspenders to attach to you (suspenders are not included), the suspenders attach to 4 buttons (2 on each side) on the front which are hidden from sight on the inside of the waist band.
- On the inside of the rear waist band there are two white cotton loops which hold down the suspender tabs if you are not wearing the suspenders.
- The inner of the trousers are part lined with cotton.
- Colour matches the darker colour of the M43 wool tunic.
Richard Underwood Militaria product code is 15321