American WW2 assault vest.
We have only have a few left from the current production run and these have some storage marks on them like rust staining on convas from the buckles.
This is a classic piece of kit from WW2, made famous from the film Saving Private Ryan where Tom Hanks wears an Assault through the film.
The D-Day assault vest was used on D-Day by an assortment of troops to help carry the extra loads and not just by the US Rangers. They had the carrying capacity to hold the normal load plus extra grenades and ammo.
These where mainly issued to first wave troops on the Normandy invasion. The vest would replace the M1928 haversack.
- 2 large upper chest front pockets with buckle and strap closure are large enough to hold 3 x 20rd Thompson magazines in each pocket.
- 2 large lower front pockets with buckle and strap closure are large enough to hold 5 x 30rd Thompson magazines in each pocket.
- 2 lower front pockets have hand grenade pockets on the side. These are flapped but have no closure.
- 4 sets of 2 grommets (2 sets on the front, 2 sets on the back) around the waist to attaché extra items like holsters, wire cutters etc. The belt hangers would be passed up through the slit in the vest below the grommets.
- The front is closed by two straps on the front.
- Straps on the shoulders.
- Two large pockets on the back.
- The top pocket on the back has grommets to attach the entrenching tool with a strap lower down to secure the handle.
- On the side of the top pocket there is a sleeve for the bayonet or trench knife..
- Top pocket on the back is secured by two straps and buckles.
- Lower back pocket is secured by one strap and buckle and the size of the pocket can be reduced with two straps and press studs on the bottom of the pocket.
- The top back pocket has US stamped on the outside and Kay Canvas 1944 on the inside.
Colour: Khaki/tan with green webbing edging.
Available in two sizes:
- Medium. Waist measures 49" (125cm) will fit a person with a chest size of 40 to 44" (100 to 112cm) this allows you to wear an M41 jacket underneath.
- Large. Waist measures 53" (135cm) will fit a person with a chest size of 45 to 49" (114 to 125cm) this allows you to wear an M41 jacket underneath.
Measurements are when the vests are laid out flat and are measured from the edges of the vest along where the grommets are in the vest (along the waist). This does not allow for the gap of the straps when wearing it and you need to fit it over your clothing.